Sükhbaatar Square

Sükhbaatar Square

Sükhbaatar Square is a square in Ulan Bator.

Chinggis Square , formally Grand Chinggis Khaan Square, and previously known as Sükhbaatar Square , is the central square of Mongolia's capital Ulaanbaatar. The official name was changed in 2013 in honor of the founding father of the Mongolian nation. A large colonnade monument to Genghis Khan, as well as to Ögedei Khan, and Kublai Khan dominates the square's north side directly in front of the Saaral Ordon . The center of the square features an equestrian statue of Damdin Sükhbaatar, one of the leaders of Mongolia's 1921 revolution.

Buildings

Government Palace is located on the north side of the square. It is fronted by a large colonnade monument to Genghis Khan, Ögedei Khan, and Kublai Khan, completed in 2006 in time for the 800th anniversary of Genghis Khan's coronation. Prior to its demolition in 2005, Sükhbaatar's Mausoleum, the former burial place of Damdin Sükhbaatar and Khorloogiin Choibalsan occupied the area just in front of the Government palace. On the square's western side sits the headquarters of the Ulaanbaatar Bank, Ulaanbaatar City Administration building, the headquarters of Golomt Bank, the Mongolian Stock Exchange building , the Mongolian Telecommunications Building, and the Central Post Office. The eastern side of the square is flanked by the Central Cultural Palace Building and State Ballet and Opera House, built between 1946 and 1949, and the Central Towers, a glass and metal skyscraper completed in 2008. To the south sits the old Lenin Club building .

History

The grounds of the present day government palace and public square were largely occupied by the monastery and temple complex of Ikh Khüree in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. This central temple-palace complex was the largest and oldest section of Ulaanbaatar, and was called the Zuun Khuree or Eastern Monastery. An open air field was located just south of the temple complex and was surrounded on all sides by temples, residences of the nobility and clergy as well as the Baruun Damnuurchin markets. Mongolian wrestling and Tsam dances were often staged there in the presence of nobles and clergy. Over time, it devolved into a dumping ground of the growing city's refuse. The Bogd Khan would sometimes be seen passing along its edge on his royal procession to the Yellow Palace in the Ikh Khüree temple-palace complex.

The temple-complex was razed shortly after the Outer Mongolian Revolution of 1921 and was replaced with the National Theater, also known as the "Green Domed Theater", in 1926. The theater was destroyed by fire in 1949. Mongolia's leader Khorloogiin Choibalsan then ordered the construction of the Government Palace on its site in 1951.

The square was named in honor of the Mongolian revolutionary hero Damdin Sükhbaatar shortly after his death in 1923. The newspaper "Izvestiya Ulanbator khoto" reported on July 15, 1925 that "in line with Mongolian tradition the fourth anniversary of the People's Revolution was celebrated with rallies at the square dedicated to D.Sükhbaatar". The current statue of Sükhbaatar upon his horse was created in 1946 by the sculptor Sonomyn Choimbol and is located on the spot where his horse allegedly urinated during a rally on July 8, 1921, shortly after the vicory of the 1921 revoluation. Sükhbaatar's horse urinating was seen as a good omen and a marker was buried on the spot by a man called "Bonehead" Gavaa. Marshal Khorloogiin Choibalsan had the marker dug out and chose the spot as the place of Sukhbaatar's statue.

Events

During Mongolia's socialist period, Sükhbaatar Square was the scene of annual civil, youth, and military parades until 1989, with party and government leaders ascending to the top of Sükhbaatar's Mausoleum to view parades on May 1, July 11, and November 7 each year. Large parades were also staged for important visitors, such as when Brezhnev made an official visit to Mongolia in 1966. The square was the focal point of the Democratic Revolution of 1990 where massive demonstrations and hunger strikes took place. Sükhbaatar Square was also the scene of the violent riots on July 1, 2008 when 5 people were shot dead and many more injured while protesting parliamentary election results. Today, the square is still the scene of major state ceremonies, cultural events, and exhibitions. Heads of state of foreign countries generally pay respects in front of the statue of Sükhbaatar.

Overall rating: 4.1
Square in Ulan Bator
Address: Peace Avenue, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
Typical length of visit: 1 hour
Hours of operation:
Every day
08:00 AM - 08:00 PM

Other things to do near Sükhbaatar Square

Nalaikh

Nalaikh
Nalaikh is one of nine Düüregs of the Mongolian capital of Ulaanbaatar. It is subdivided into 6 Khoroos .Unlike most other düüregs, Nalaikh is technically a separate city, but still ...

National Museum of Mongolia

National Museum of Mongolia
The National Museum of Mongolia is one of the national museums of Mongolia located in the capital Ulan Bator. The National Museum of Mongolia is a cultural, scientific, and educational ...

Ulan Bator

Ulan Bator
Ulan Bator or Ulaanbaatar is the capital and the largest city of Mongolia. An independent municipality, the city is not part of any province, and its population as of 2014 ...

Choijin Lama Temple

Choijin Lama Temple
The Choijin Lama Temple is a Buddhist monastery in Ulan Bator, the capital of Mongolia.The complex consists of four temples originally occupied by the brother of the ruler Bogd Khan, ...

National Sports Stadium

National Sports Stadium
National Sports Stadium can refer to:National Sports Stadium National Sports Stadium ...

Mongolian Natural History Museum

Mongolian Natural History Museum
The Mongolian Natural History Museum is a repository and research institution located in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. The museum was previously known as the Mongolian National Museum or State Central Museum. This ...

Sky Resort

Sky Resort
Sky Resort is a ski resort located near Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. The resort is sited on Bogd Khan Uul, with a base of 1,379 metres and tops out at 1,570 metres ...